5 Solid Benefits of Sitting for the JAMB Mock Examination
A Mock Examination is the pre- examination test organized by the Board that candidates take before appearing for the final examination.
This is mainly to enable candidates assess their level of preparation and acquaint themselves with the Computer-Based Test (CBT) environment.
Candidates are, therefore, expected to prepare themselves in terms of fine-tuning questions, answering strategies, time management and changing examination patterns.
5 Benefits/Importance of Sitting for the JAMB Mock Examination
1. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), in its resolve to improve candidates’ performance in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), introduced Mock Examination in 2017 to give all candidates taking the UTME an opportunity to have hands-on experience with the system, particularly those that are not conversant with the use of computers and those who want to acquaint themselves with the CBT mode before the main examination.
2. In other words, the Board sees its Mock Examination as an effective form of preparation for the UTME which has the potential to take learning to greater heights. This exercise also helps the Board to assess its readiness for the actual examination.
3. The standardization of JAMB Mock Examination has helped to build candidates’ staying power to take multiple tests given the many procedures that may take some time to complete. Pace is, therefore, of utmost importance when candidates have limited time to complete a given task.
4. Apart from standardization, the introduction of Mock Examination has helped to alleviate test anxiety in candidates as it ensures maximum comfort and minimal worry through practice. The more candidates sit for a practice test, the more relaxed they would feel on the day of the actual examination. A practice test does not only help candidates to identify problem areas but also reassures them of their academic progress as it erases all examination phobia.
5. Important tests like the JAMB Mock Examination are not just avenues to quiz candidates on their knowledge but are also indicators of how well they would perform under pressure. Ultimately, they provide candidates with the confidence they need to be as stress-free as possible on the day of the real examination. This gives fillip to the truism that there is no better way to study than to test what one already knows. While reading and taking notes form the basis of studying, taking mock examinations has been shown to be one of the most effective success strategies.